Friday, June 22, 2012

Social Media Tracking Tools

McDonalds recently set up a webpage called "Our Food, Your Questions"; Canadians are invited to pose questions about McDonalds food, which are answered by a representative. The aim of this campaign is to dispel myths around McDonalds food. In response to the question "Why does your food look different in the advertising than what is in the store?", McDonalds released the video below explaining the food photographing process. 




I was interested to see whether this video changed opinions surrounding McDonalds foods. To measure this, I found a number of online reports on the video. A selection of comments were taken and rated based on their sentiment towards campaign, not towards McDonalds itself. The comments +1 for positive, 0 for neutral, and -1 for negative. 


Here are a selection of comments from the thestar.com:

So does every other food shot: This is a common practice for food photographs; there are food stylists who strive to make their food "edible". but the majority of the food in shots can't be eaten. Stop the McD hate.

Score: +1


and "drum roll"..... Crap is still crap no matter how you dress it up... but so nice to see how they dress the crap... Score: -1Dishonest - How lovely to have an inside view into the business of lying to your customers.Score: -1 (this comment is interpreted as sarcasm)McDonald's vs Subway - McDonald's advertising photos look a lot closer to what you're served, compared to Subway...Score: +1Good for McDonald's - It's not like people are going to stop buying their products if they reveal why their burgers in commercials look better than in real life.Score: +1Good for them - Be honest and show people why. NO need to hide the truth.Score: +1Here are a selection of comments from Twitter:@lindsaysherry - Don't know if this was a good idea #mcdonalds - http://t.co/velfTxT9Score: -1@Budd_Dwyers_Bag - I love everything about this story. Especially the awkcent of the presenter htt://t/co/fuY6Bnh4 #imlovingit #thisiswhywerefat #mcdonalds Score: +1@leannmifsud - "@TorontoStar @McDonalds #AdvertisignSecrets http://t.co/mJCI2cN Still want a Big Mac?" Yes... Yes I do.Score: +1@tifutifers - "@TorontoStar: Melting cheese w/a blow dryer and other @McDonalds #advertising secrets: http://t.co/AgSAdWV5" bold+smart move by @McDonaldsScore: +1Overall Score: +4
From these comments, it appears McDonalds has been successful with their campaign. Some praise McDonalds for being honest and answering the question, even if they wouldn't eat at McDonalds themselves, whereas others seem to harbour a negative attitude towards McDonalds that cannot be undone by one video alone. The conclusion from this analysis shows that the campaign has been successful in improving attitudes towards their food, but more work is needed to improve the company image.What do you think? How do you feel after watching the video? Do you think that McDonalds has been successful with their new, behind the scenes approach?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I wasn't aware at all of this campaign from McDonald's! I'm very impressed with their willingness to engage with their customers on tough questions. I agree with many of the commenters that I find the food unappealing and generally hold negative feelings about the brand. But after watching the above video and visiting the "questions" website, McDonalds is more transparent than I previously thought. However that doesn't mean I will start buying their food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite impressed with how transparent McDonald's has become over the years, not only with marketing campaigns as shown above, but also with listing their ingredients and being honest about their food. I don't really understand why some people would interpret 'food retouching' as deceptive advertising, as I think it is pretty common knowledge that food advertised in pictures never actually looks the same as what you get in store. This is the same for all ad campaigns.

    I find it somewhat amusing that there are actually people out there that hold the job title of 'food stylist'. I wonder what makes people get into that line of work...?

    Thanks for the interesting post! I think overall consumers will appreciate the effort McDonald's is making in trying to be more transparent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, guys. I agree that McDonald's has become more transparent recently, and I think this is a very positive step. Miriam, I agree with you that I appreciate the transparency, but that doesn't mean I'll be heading in to buy a burger anytime soon!

    Lena, I think a career in 'food styling' would be fun. I'm not sure how you'd get in to it, but I think it would be fascinating. Maybe if the marketing doesn't work out... :)

    ReplyDelete